Monday, October 27, 2008

Movie Review: The Prestige

I wanted to wait until I was a little more awake to write this review, but oh well. Today's movie... The Prestige. This is another movie I own and probably my favorite movie of all time currently.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/

I want to start this synopsis off with a quote from the movie.
"Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige"."

This movie is literally a magic trick. There's a quote on the front cover of this DVD case that says "You want to see it again the second it's over." I remember when I saw the movie in theaters, I sat there blinking at the credits for probably 2 minutes trying to figure out what happened. I've watched it probably 20 times since then and have come to the conclusion that it's perfect. The plot plays out like Memento, where it bouces back and forth between the present and past events being read through diaries. It weaves mysticism with believable reality and blends in a superb cast with little moral lessons throughout the dialogue. There's not a lot I can say about this movie without giving away it's greatness.

The Good: Everything is perfect. Acting is top notch, music is dead on, suspense is there, mystery is there and the storyline is captivating.

The Bad: There is nothing wrong with this movie, there is honestly not a second that needs to be changed. Watch everything carefully because everything that is shown is there for a reason.

Overall: 5/5 stars. Probably the only movie you will ever see me give a 5 star rating to until I find another of equal respect. If there was ever a movie I would recommend to anyone, this is it.

No comments: