Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Movie Review: Max Payne

I'm going to step away from movies I own for a second and switch gears back to what I really intended with this site, but before I go ahead and continue with this review I wanted to ask you to cut me a break with this one, it's almost 3am. I'm tired and it's been a pretty long week. Lost my job at Hollywood and I've spent this week frantically going back and forth between closing my store and looking for a new job (anywhere really). Long story short, Nathan and I went to see the Max Payne movie yesterday.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467197/

I'm not going to lie, I never played either of the two video games, although I had to sit there and watch people buy them for almost 3 years. I heard they they are pretty good, but both of them are almost as old as the pervious gen video game systems are now (ps2,xbox). As for the movie, I can't say for sure if it's based on one of the storylines in either game, but I think that the movie's story would have made for an excellent game plot. Unforunately, it didn't transfer smoothly to a movie. My favorite Video Game Movie to date is still Silent Hill. Despite having Mark Wahlberg (who's come a long way now since Marky Mark) and that guy Jim Bravura who I love from Prison Break, the acting in this movie leaves a lot to be desired. This makes two bad roles in a row that Wahlberg has picked up (other being The Happening.... god awful - OMG THE PLANTS ARE ATTACKING US). So basically, Max Payne's wife and child are killed. He's seeking revenge. He's really badass. He uncovers a pretty see-through scheme (it's a wonder he didn't uncover it sooner) and finds her killer, who gives away the reason he did it all (which is basically because he can), then he tries to kill Max. Max survives, takes some LSD or whatever and goes on a warpath equal to the end of the First Matrix Movie where Neo and Trinity go into that building with all those guns. It's pretty funny, if nothing else.

The Good: There was some very sick action in this movie, along with an almost interesting plot. Like I said, it would have made a very good video game plot. The music is pretty good as well.

The Bad: The major actors in the movie aren't terrible, but I'm not really sure what they had to work with. The plot twists are pretty un-needed as they lead you to believe one thing for over an hour and then shift gears completely in what comes off as a fairly lame attempt to add 30 more minutes to the movie. There are a decent amount of scenes that are unnecessary.

Overall: 1/5 stars. I'm going to make a point to give movies that really are not that good, a crappy score. I'm tired of reviews of bad movies trying to bring to light what might actually be good about them, because in the end, the fact that the movie was just overall bad should cast a shadow on any of it's redeeming qualities. This movie is bad, it's almost funny enough to watch as a comedy. It's by far, not the worst movie I've ever seen, but again, stay away from it in theaters, it's definitely not worth the 10 bucks.

No comments: