Thursday, October 16, 2008

About This Blog. Movie Review: The Good Shepherd

As I recently discovered, this website is not setup very well for giving me a section to post up a description of it. I have a semi-profile thing in place, but I'd like to take the opportunity here to list what I feel my goal is with this Blog.

This... it seems, is mostly for me. Frankly, I love watching movies and I love expressing my opinions on them. I've seen so many that I feel I almost have developed a real taste for what a good movie should include.

A good movie, to me, needs more than just a lot of mindless action and bloodspilling. If any of you saw the movie "Shoot Em Up" with Clive Owen, you may or may not agree that it was a pretty entertaining movie. See, for me? That movie was awful. A good movie should include a detailed plot that makes the watcher think at least a little bit to understand it all, perhaps even leaving a few details to the imagination. A good movie will have amazing acting. I cannot stand movies where I can imagine myself in the roll. The more drama the better, don't get me wrong... I love comedies but I rarely consider a comedy as an extremely good movie. A good movie should have good music, music that matches and adds to whatever situation and finally screenplay - a good movie needs to have perfect screen play and transitions. Of course, no movie is absolutely perfect, thus some of the above is forgiveble, but there is a very fine line between cheesy and dramatic.



What I'm going to be doing in the next few entries is reviewing movies I already own that I do actually consider to be "good" movies. Today's will be The Good Shepherd.



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0343737/

The First time I saw this movie it seemed to me like it was a spy action movie with no action. Truth be told, it's a lot deeper meaning than that. This movie follows Matt Damon's character through his life as one of the headnames of the CIA in it's birth. Really, this movie deals with the human cost of what being a head of intelligence really is. Truth, it would seem, is relative.

The Good: In my honest opinion, I believe this is Matt Damon's best performance. The drama in this movie is nearly unparalleled, which brings about why I've chosen it for one of my favorite movies of all time. The music is also a huge factor, overplaying dramatic events to near perfection. You'll rarely ever see me use cliche expressions, but Robert Dinero (Director) hits the nail on the head with this film.

The Bad: As I said earlier, if you're waiting for some action, you're going to be disappointed. Also I find the son slightly annoying.

Overall: 4/5 Stars. I doubt that you'll ever see me give something 5 stars. This is about as close as it will come unless the movie on top of being perfect has done something truely innovative.

No comments: