Monday, October 20, 2008

Movie Review: American Gangster

Following the trend I created in my last post, I'm going to keep going with review of movies I own and happen to like. Today's movie? American Gangster.



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765429/



American Gangster is the Hollywood portrayal inspired by the true life story of Frank Lucas (Assuming the name has been changed), about a black drug kingpin out of Harlem in the 60's. Denzel Washington plays Frank, and honestly, I love this man. His acting in every movie i've ever seen has never looked anything but natural. He stars alongside Russell Crowe, who plays the detective trying to put an end to police drug corruption. I enjoy the music in this movie, and the dramatic events leading upto the obvious yet beautifully portrayed ending. This movie is flawless in terms of plot and storytelling, transitions and scripts are excellent. Every character is believeble.



The Good: I have a soft spot for outrageous plots based on true events. This movie depicts, very thoroughly, the rise of a very disciplined black man in the 60s. I believed every second of the movie as if I was watching real life events.



The Bad: Honestly, this movie is solid. There isn't anything really bad about it. It's not perfectly amazing, but it's very strong.

Overall: 4/5 Stars. Like I said, I never really give something 5 stars unless it's spectacular and brings something completely unexpected to the table, but this movie it's damn good.

No comments: